Friday, September 14, 2007

Chocolate-Zucchini Muffins

I've made these a few times in recent weeks, since my garden has been producing zucchini the size of small cars faster than I can use them. I've grated and frozen a few, just so I can make this recipe again and again, because I love it that much, and I hope you will too! The zucchini makes for a super-moist muffin, and I like to think that they add a bit of healthiness. You could ice them if you want (thereby transforming them into a cupcake), but, seriously, these are decadent enough on their own.

Chocolate-Zucchini Muffins
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup melted margarine (I use Earth Balance)

3/4 cup vegetable oil
6 tbsp flax meal + 1/3 cup water (combine well before adding)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup "milk" (I use soy, or rice) + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 cups grated zucchini

1-1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
2 1/4 cups spelt flour

1 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cloves/ nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Optional add-ins:
1/2 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350F, and grease muffin tin, or line with cupcake papers.
In a medium bowl, cream the margarine, oil, and sugar until well combined. Add flax-water mixture, and stir until incorporated. Stir in "milk", vanilla, zucchini, chocolate chips, and additional add-ins, if desired.
In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients, and stir until well-mixed. Add liquid mixture to wet mixture, and combine thoroughly, but be careful not to over-mix.
Use 1/4 measuring cup to spoon mixture evenly into prepared muffin tin, and bake for approx. 30 min, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Cool, and proceed to stuff your face. :)



1 comment:

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

These muffins look so decadent! I'll have to get a zucchini - we didn't plant any this year....